Wednesday, February 10, 2010

School Bullying

An incident happened at my daughter's High School yesterday, of which she yet again, stepped in to try to break it up and to 'rescue' her friend, being bullied and threatened.

Her friend was surrounded by a group of kids (cowardice in numbers ???!!!) and so it was a very frightening time for all...these children have just started High School and are younger than the children they are targeting, scary to say the least !

Sadly some of these 'bully' children, I understand must have a reason for doing this and need help immediately but I also know of others that are 'tossed' around from school to school (private and public) creating havoc wherever they land !

One can only hope, that with all the new policies brought in, to deal with the problem of " Bullying ", will also include councelling for the bullies and their families, to break the cycle and allow them to become better students and members of society before it is too late...

I am so very proud of my daughter for being a good friend, for helping others at the risk of her own safety and for not being afraid to report these incidents.

Footnote: These children are being suspended for their actions and if it continues, there will be other consequences, thanks to the School Policies in place.

Thanks for 'listening' !

Shazz

5 comments:

  1. Oh Sharon, I totally understand this! I was bullied a lot from 6th grade until 12th grade by a bunch of kids because of my disability. It was horrible experience for me when I changed schools when I was 11 yrs old. She is truly a good person for trying to help a friend. I wish I had that for me as I really didn't have anyone backing me up at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou...
    I am so sorry you were bullied Janet...it is the most heartbreaking thing to watch as a parent (all my girls have been bullied at sometime, sadly) and I did get bullied myself, a couple of times also...
    Bullying recently , has led to dreadful and sad consequences in some cases around Australia, so we have to do all we can to make School, a better and safer place for our children...to just be children...xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ITS SO HARD TODAY FOR KIDS TO FIT IN AND I FEEL THAT SOME OF THEM NEED TO BULLY TO FIT IN WHICH IS SAD IF THEY ONLY REALIZED THAT IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT THE NICER YOU ARE THE BETTER YOU WILL BE EXCEPTED BY ALL.ITS SO HEARTBREAKING TO SEE THESE LITTLE CHILDREN BEING BULLIED. HUGS POLLY

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true Polly, there must be a number of underlying factors/reasons for being a bully in the first place...very sad all round !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is definitely heartbreaking to watch someone get bullied...I used to see it on other kids as well as myself being bullied and I felt for them. Schools these days aren't really doing much at all. I wish they would step in and take a look at the big picture of what is really happening w/ kids these days. I would go home crying to my mother all the time. My mother said to me that she would back me 100% no matter what..she said to me that if I felt threatened that I should go ahead and fight that person and if she received a call from the school saying that I got into trouble. She would still back me no matter what as she knew I was defending myself from these bullies and the school don't do anything. Thank Goodness, I never managed to do that because I am a person that don't believe in fighting w/ a person, I prefer to just walk away from it all.

    ReplyDelete